Monday, April 6, 2015

About Me

Hi, I am Haleigh Henson. I am 19 years old, twenty in October. I attend Henderson State University where I study Early Childhood Education and also play basketball for the Lady Reddies. My family consist of my little sister who is a senior in high school and will attend Arkansas Tech University to play softball. I was raised by Craig and Stacy Henson; my mother is a radiologist and sonographer, and my dad is a manager/owner of a car dealership. I was first introduced to early childhood education when my aunt asked me to come help her teach her first grade class for the day. I immediately fell in love with all the little kids. A little more about me, I enjoy being with my family the most, next to playing basketball. I am sure by now you are wondering what my blog is going to be about.



In 2007 my sister and I were diagnosed with Celiac Disease, a rare disease located in the small intestines. If you do not know what this is a better way to explain it would be to just say that I am allergic to pizza, Americas favorite food. It wasn't easy, it took a lot of trips to Children's Hospital and a lot of tears later I have never felt better. Some people may know this as being "Gluten Free" and I have known it to be this way for eight years now. It gets easier as you go, all the temptations seem to become easier to turn down, and all the looks when telling someone you're allergic to cookies become a blur. Trust me, the looks I get ordering a cheeseburger without a bun is priceless but knowing it could help me live longer just makes me smile and turn away from all the negative thoughts and weird looks. So here I am writing a blog to those who need someone who understands them, and someone who can give you some of mommy's best gluten free foods. Enjoy!



http://celiac.org/celiac-disease/what-is-celiac-disease/

6 comments:

  1. I have heard about Celiac Disease before but i had no idea it could have that big of an effect on any-ones life. Glad to know you cope with it so well. I couldn't imagine having to cut out all of those foods all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After getting passed that first year it got easier and easier, but thank you!

      Delete
  2. One of my very good childhood friends has the same disease. I was hard seeing her go through so much and it seemed just to hit her all of the sudden. But she is doing so well now! And i'm glad to hear that you are doing well too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just met you this year and I'm so proud of all that you have accomplished!

    Keep doing you, fam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first time hearing of this disease but it sounds like a very irritating one not being able to eat what you want to eat or thing that are good to you. But i guess its better to eat things that are healthy for you rather than just good in taste to you. It is good to know that you can deal with it in good manner, I honestly do not know what I would do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my first time hearing of this disease but it sounds like a very irritating one not being able to eat what you want to eat or thing that are good to you. But i guess its better to eat things that are healthy for you rather than just good in taste to you. It is good to know that you can deal with it in good manner, I honestly do not know what I would do.

    ReplyDelete